Sunday, November 2, 2014

Between Barack and a hard place: Challenging Racism, Privilege and Denia......

This video really talks about most of the topics that we have discussed in class, it talks about how many people don't like to talk about certain topics such as racism. People chose not to talk about racism and they decide to ignore it because they say they are not racist and that's it they don't wanna have a conversation about it. Something that was said in this video that really caught my attention was " well I don't have to have this conversation, I'm not racist because some of my best friends are black, or I dated an Asian once". I found this interesting because I feel like I have heard this a lot. Many people say things similar to this as a come back when another person wants to talk about racism. Reality is that just because you have black friends or dated so,some of a different race this doesn't mean that you can't be racist.

Another thing that I found interesting was when he said, " are their men in this country who are sexest? Are any if them heterosexual ? How is that possible? Because by the logic of the person that says if I got friends who are black then I can't be racist, then if men date women or marry them or are simply attracted to them, the fact that I'm a heterosexual means that I cannot be sexest. The only sexest would have to be gay men".  I really liked this because it really shows how ridiculous it is that people  think they can get away with not talking about racism because they have friends of different race. The truth here is that people are scared to be called racist if they speak of racism.

I chose this pictures because I think that they  go with this video. I think this just shows how we are used to hearing about people not being racist because they have black friends.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the premise of your blog post. You make very valid points about people because scared that they will be labeled as a racist if they bring up the topic but really that just makes them look more cowardly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with Vicky, you make really really good points about society and people. Also, the pictures you posted are so true. If you have to say you have black friends you ARE seeing them as colored not as people.

    ReplyDelete